Monday, June 14, 2010

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King
(The Iron Fey Book #1)
by Julie Kagawa

Genre: Fantasy / Paranormal Romance / Young Adult

My name is Meghan Chase.

In less than twenty-four hours I'll be sixteen. Countless stories, songs, and poems have been written about this wonderful age, when a girl finds true love and the stars shine for her and the handsome prince carries her off into the sunset.

I don't think it will be that way for me.

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined...Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school...or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I've been seeing this book EVERYWHERE and have been shunning it for a while due to all the rave ratings its been receiving, but I finally bit the bullet and read it myself and . . . LOVED IT! It has an odd mixture of Alice in Wonderland, A Midsummer's Night Dream, Legend and mostly - Labyrinth. It has all the classic fairy tale elements: a child kidnapped by fairies, a magical quest, and a handsome prince. Plus, Meghan finds out she 1/2 Faery herself, so things become a lot personal throughout the book. Next up - The Iron Daughter, coming out August 1st.

Likes: I had thought Robbie/Puck's silliness would grow on my last nerve, but he did quite the opposite when I finished the book. Presently Surprised!

Dislikes: It's almost too similar to the 1986 Jim Henson film, Labyrinth.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about the friendly conversation here at Books To Bury Yourself In :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.