Friday, February 25, 2011

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole

Dreams of a Dark Warrior
(Immortals After Dark #11)
by Kresley Cole

Genre : Paranormal Romance Dark Fantasy

He vowed he'd come for her - Murdered before he could wed Regin the Radiant, warlord Aidan the Fierce seeks his beloved through eternity, reborn again and again into new identities, yet with no memory of his past livesonly an endless yearning.

She awaits his return - When Regin encounters Declan Chase, a brutal Celtic soldier, she recognizes her proud warlord reincarnated. But Declan takes her captive, intending retribution against all immortals, unaware that he belongs to their world.

To sate a desire more powerful than death - Yet every reincarnation comes with a price, for Aidan is doomed to die when he remembers his past. To save herself from Declan's torments, will Regin rekindle memories of the passion they once sharedeven if it means once again losing the only man she could ever love?

Regan is known to have a drug-like kiss and a reincarnated Berserker that becomes reawakened to their history together upon her affections. Now, that another 500 years has passed, the war between the immortals is heating up and many of the Lore are ending up prisoners within a facility for research. Soon Regan finds herself there under the study of Declan, the Magistrate, who also happens to be her long-ago mate. Since their latest relationship together is in the beginning stages, Declan knows nothing special about Regan except that she arouses passionate thoughts within him that weren't there before. Yet, after numerous brutal and torturous sessions together, can love actually bloom within two enemies?

Ugh, I am so ready for this "research facility" arc to be over. I'm not a fan! I didn't enjoy the last book in the series (sadly!) and I found this one wasn't that great either. I fear we have one more to go before something new comes along as well, boo! Regardless, I keep holding out for 'better' b/c I'm a lover of past books and characters and keep wishing we'll get a glimpse of them somewhere within the story, but overall . . . not liking the constant action packed feel to the plot, its difficult for me to get into any of the relationships, and its a struggle to even enjoy the male leads.

I find the books I really favor best within the IAD series focuses solely on the pair within the story, since they themselves must complete some journey TOGETHER, they ALONE must fight against the enemy/something broken within themselves, and just the two of them makes up a majority of the tale. Interestingly enough, KC has changed her writing style by mixing these newest couples into massive group settings. No longer does the reader get to enjoy the relationship growth between our two leading protagonists like before, but now there are many many others offering silly feedback in regards to the growing lust/love of the couple. . . that it bothers me. I want the focus to switch back to the reason I buy the book (Paranormal Romance between a COUPLE, not group) and not try to expand the Lore world too quickly by adding immense crowds and intense action power. Boring!

Also, I'm one of those women that does not enjoy a man in a uniform. Thus, I don't "get" Duncan's heavy military attire with combat boots and his desire for weaponry . . . nothing there excites me. And I need some true redemption within my stories to give off a feeling of completion and Duncan didn't get far enough for my taste, therefore I couldn't find myself liking him as a character. Honestly, I wanted the original Berserker to come back in full force, but sadly that wasn't the case. I feel Regan deserved better! Plus, there was so much going on within the story that by the time the relationship between the two heated up near the end, I was so over the book that I just wanted to skip it. There was no fun romantic build up for me and Dreams of a Dark Warrior came off a lacking when I finished. I totally rolled me eyes at the Epilogue!

All in all, I find I'm extra hard on this book because I love the IAD series and I truly expected a lot from the story. Yes, I may have some favorite Lore stories that other readers don't favor as much and I understand some readers highly enjoy these 'research facility' books as being some of the best within the series, nonetheless, I'm so ready for something NEW to spice up this series for me again . . . otherwise I might get burned too many times and just turn away.

Likes: I did enjoy the flashbacks to the other Berserker's reincarnated selves, maybe since they WEREN'T Duncan.

Dislikes:
Way too action packed for my taste and I'm almost dreading the Lore Accession from coming since it'll be mostly full on 'battle mode' then on out.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about the friendly conversation here at Books To Bury Yourself In :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.