Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lover Mine by J. R. Ward

Lover Mine
(Black Dagger Brotherhood Book #8)
by J. R. Ward

Genre: Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy

John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him. After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was- or his true identity. Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny. As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.

Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew. Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall prey to the darkness of her twisted life. When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.

For me - this book had a very similar plot to Zhadist and Bella's tale of the female being kept prisoner, tortured, and having a minion fall in love with her & then the head-strong male determined enough to come to her rescue no matter what to only afterwords both realize they are truly meant for each other. It's sad to actually see the outcome of these books before finishing the first chapter, but I feel Lover Mine was a sad spin-off of Lover Awakened.

Like most fans, my favorite book of the series was Book #3 (
Lover Awakened) and then the series, I believe, began to all go down hill after Book #5 (Lover Unbound). Being a loyal reader, I followed through and somewhat enjoyed John Matthew & Xhex's tale. It was hard seeing JM as a grown man when not too long ago he was still a weakling in training and I haven't been that big of a fan of Xhex before, but her transition in this book changed my opinion of her slightly. It's nice (regardless the crappy read) catching up with the gang and I think that's the main reason I continue with the Black Dagger Brotherhood in the first place. Sadly, as I've been writing this review, my rating of this book has crept lower and lower due to my disinterest.

Likes: Zhadist & Bella with little Nala.

Dislikes: Where to begin?

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about the friendly conversation here at Books To Bury Yourself In :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.