Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall
by Rachel Hawkins


Genre: Paranormal Romance / Fantasy / Young Adult

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
When a love-spell goes wrong, Sophie Mercer is sentenced to a disciplinary school (Hecate Hall in Georgia, known as Hex Hall) for paranormal students until 18 years old. Having a mortal mother and a warlock father, who she has never met; Sophie is torn from her "normal" existence and thrown into a society of only witches, werewolves, fairies, and vampires. Not familiar with the history of the school or even the student's own survival skills from those (The Eye of God) who hunt down magical beings, Sophie has to quickly learn to adapt in a new world with all new rules.

It's a interesting supernatural mystery, full of teenage angst, usual school crushes, and beautiful bullies which is definitely written for the younger side. Even though it's a quick read and Sophie's attitude toward her new environment is funny at times (I like a protagonist with a little sass), sadly I wasn't all that impressed. I highly anticipated reading this book, was on a long wait list at my library for it, and even thought it was okay at times, but for some reason, it just didn't catch my attention as I had hoped. Yet, I'm not one to give up on a series. I felt this way beginning the Blue Blood books by Melissa de la Cruz and once the second of the series came out, I was hooked. So here's hoping Rachel Hawkins can capture my attention better the next time around.

Likes:
Sophie's smart remarks like "I had an incredibly nasty retort ready that involved his mother and the U.S. Navy . . ."


Dislikes: I found it silly to make the famous poet, Lord Byran, into the school's Vamp teacher. It just struck me as odd and didn't really add much to the story. Plus, the whole witches on broomsticks - some originality please!

Ratings:

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about the friendly conversation here at Books To Bury Yourself In :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.