Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Blog Hops

Feature & Follow is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee
Q: Happy Father's Day! Who is your favorite dad character in a book and why?


My favorite father figure comes from Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series.  Twin brothers, Drustan (from Kiss of a Highlander) and Degeus (from The Dark Highlander), both visit their father, Silvan, on separate occasions in the past with Druid magic.  Long story short, Silvan was a wonderful father-figure who equally loved his sons, but really put them in their place as well through (comical!) manipulative games.  He was a very likable character and because of that, it was always emotional during good-byes and during discoveries of letters/gifts left behind for his sons to read in the future.

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at GReads!

Q: Most Valuable Book: From your personal collection of books, which ones hold the most value to you - is it signed by the author? or maybe it's your favorite story of all time? Share it with us.

Many of my favorite books have sentimental values due to me remembering exactly where I was and who I was with while reading them.  For example, the Jo Beverly books in my library were read while I backpacked through China while other romance books were often personally shared among my friends while I lived in Japan.  I have a collection of Gone with the Wind books that I devoured while living in Austin and other well known classics that I fell in love with at university. Most are just flimsy paperback books I picked up at second-hand book stores around the world, but re-reading them always brings back so many cherished memories that I display them proudly in my library even today.

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy For Books
Q: Do you belong to a book club, either online or in real life?

I have tried joining book clubs in the past (both online and in read life), but unfortunately I do not stick around long.  I will like one book one month, but then not the book during the next month and will skip...then before I know it, I'm out. Plus, books clubs related to my reading genre usually include books I've already read before, so that's no fun.  And mostly, I don't like reading under time-constraints.  I read for the enjoyment of it and not for a schedule.  So, NO - I do not belong to a book club either online or in real life. Props to those who do!!

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Johanna! I'm Kelsey over at Ketch's Book Nook! Just stopping by from the Book Blogger Hop. I hope to see you come by an read my answer to this week's question.

    Happy Friday and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Johanna! I haven't read the Highlander series, but the character you picked does sound amazing :)

    I'm a new follower via GFC. Stop by and follow back?

    My Friday Follow

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower!

    Sounds like a good father figure. I'll have to add that book to my list :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/06/follow-friday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read that series. That sounds like a really interesting father/son relationship.

    My follow friday. Hope you visit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read those Highlander books! Nice pick.

    New Follower!
    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with trying something and finding it's not for you. I think its good to read outside of our normal genres to challenge ourselves. Not liking a book is OK too, provided you read enough to get the gist of it.

    Cute green girl in your image. Makes think of Fiona in Shrek (and I mean that in a good way!)

    (found you via Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome to hear the stories behind your favorite books! I think most of my favorite books remind me of a time in my life too, or someone special who gave it to me.


    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! New Linky Follower hopping on through.

    I've never read the highlander series but Silvan does sound like a great literary father.

    Here's my FF if you'd like to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopping through. I joined my first book club this year. I love it. They've become my closest friends in town.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my book groups but I can sympathize with your reasons for not finding one to stick with. Time is always a valuable commodity, and if a group isn't working out, it isn't worth the time investent.
    I love your favorite books stories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Silvan's character, great choice! New follower, just hopping through :) You can find my FF Here if you'd like to follow back.
    Thanks,
    Chrystina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for hopping by!!

    Cheers,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopping through and I'm enjoying your blog so far. I quite understand how people drop out of book groups. I also dropped out my F2F book group because of its inconsistency. Hope you come by and check out my blog as well :)

    ReplyDelete

It's all about the friendly conversation here at Books To Bury Yourself In :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.