Friday, June 1, 2012

TGIF

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at GReads!

Issue Books
Which books have you found to be very rewarding when it comes to tackling tougher issues? 

 
Since I live a hectic lifestyle: 9 to 5 job (that is WAY more than 40 hrs a wk), weekend volunteer, Graduate school applicant, etc...many of my books are chosen solely for the purpose of "escapism".  And because of that, many of the stories are usually about enjoyable travel destinations, sizzling romances, history/folklore, or paranormal twists...something that both excites me and is enjoyable overall!  Yet, occasionally, I will select a more complex tale that digs deeper into the ugly side of reality.  
As far as "Issue Books" goes, the dark secrets that people keep are something I cannot usually stomach as a reader (i.e. teen prostitutes, drug addiction, cutting, pedophilia, etc.) But, the stories that touch my heart the most are the YA books that focus on young characters dealing with the death of a loved one, and sometimes even worst...the death of both parental figures.  Due to creating a haunting loneliness the permeates throughout the whole story, the issue of death and grief can be a heavy subject but also enlightening as the character develops.
The most recent story I've read about the lose of a parent was Sarah Addison Allen's, The Girl Who Chased the MoonWhen a young girl's mother passes away, she is forced to move back to her Mother's home town.  There she slowly discovers the real reasons her Mother ran away in the first place.  The story is not meant to be a dark and grief-stricken story of death, but instead a tale of correcting the past and moving forward.


-----------------------------------------------------------------
Feature & Follow is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee

Are you a matchmaker?
Your Goal: Hook up two characters from two of your favorite books.Who would it be? How for you think it would go? 
Honestly - I am not much of a matchmaker, but if I had to pick a couple from any of my favorite books, I would select: Caden Woede from Kresley Cole's Dark Desires after Dusk and Georgina Kincaid from Richelle Mead's Succubus series.  A demon and a succubus, who are both a little kooky but equally hilarious would be a hoot to read about.  I could image late night arguments about their favorite horror movies, silly debates on the best modern rock bands, or what is the craziest pizza topping of all time.  Plus, so much more...

Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. Haha a demon and a succubus would definitely be interesting! I haven't read either books, but knowing Richelle Mead, I'm sure her characters are awesome!

    new follower :)
    here’s my hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of Richelle Mead or Kresley Cole's books and I have heard great things about them! I will definitely try to this summer :D Thanks for sharing! New follower via GFC and Linky.

    Kayla @ Bengal Reads (YA Blog) & Reading On The Wild Side (Adult Blog)

    "Click Here" To view my #FF post for Bengal Reads

    "Click Here" To view my #FF post for Reading On The Wild Side

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies for dropping by!! :)

    ReplyDelete

It's all about the friendly conversation here at Books To Bury Yourself In :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.